Geetanjali Mukherjee

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

How I Write: Authors on Their Writing Process - Shari Sakurai

Today's author interview is with Shari Sakurai from UK.




1.          When did you first start writing?
I first started writing when I was six years old. Our class wrote a story together about the teacher’s pet rat and I enjoyed writing so much that I have been writing ever since!

2.          What are your books about? Are you self / traditionally published or hybrid?
I have published horror and science fiction novels and am planning to publish a fantasy novel within the next few years as well. My latest release, Adam, focuses on Adam Larimore, the antagonist of my Perfect World series. It tells the story of the events that led to Adam becoming a villain, but also gives a lot of insight into why he did what he did in the series. I’m a self-published author. I chose this route as I wanted to have complete creative control over my work.

3.          What's your writing process like? Do you outline? Do you write by hand / type / dictate?
I don’t tend to outline my novels, I prefer to start writing and see where the story takes me! I write mainly on my laptop although if I have an idea for a scene when I’m out and about I do write it down in notes on my phone.

4.          What's your editing process?
I read through my novel firstly as though I was a reader and make notes of any mistakes, things that don’t make sense, consistencies, etc. I then go through it again from a critic point of view. I then make changes and give copies out to my proof-readers. After I’ve received the copies back and made amendments, I go through it again before seeking feedback. Once I have received feedback I then go through it again, make any changes, and then I have a final read through on my Kindle. It’s quite a lengthy and thorough process and it takes me about 4-6 months. 

5.          Any favorite apps / software / technology for writing?
My favourite software for writing is Word.

6.          Any favorite apps / software / websites for marketing and promotion?
I use Twitter and Facebook a lot for promotion. I also use Shutterstock’s app for browsing for images for covers and marketing.

7.          When in the day do you usually write? For how long?
If it’s a weekday I tend to write in the evenings for at least an hour. If it’s the weekend I will aim to set aside at least half a day for writing.

8.          Describe your desk / writing corner / favorite writing spot.
I don’t have a desk at the moment and I’ve currently taken over a corner of the dining room table! It’s in the corner nearest the window so I can look out into the garden as I write.

9.          Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music?
I usually do play music in the background whilst I write. I love rock music, especially JRock, and usually listen to VAMPS (JPN), L’Arc~en~Ciel and BUCK-TICK when writing.

10.       Do you ever get writers' block? What are some ways you get around it?
I do occasionally. I get around it by having several works in progress at once so if I’m stuck on one I can switch to the other until inspiration returns.

11.       Do you now, or did you ever have any day jobs? Did they add to or detract from your writing?
I have a 9-5 job five days a week and it definitely detracts from my writing as it means I can’t get as much done during the week as I would like to. 

12.       How much research do you do? What kind?
I use the Internet for a lot of my research and visit websites of places that feature in my novels if I haven’t physically been able to visit them myself. This is especially handy for my work in progress set in Japan, as whilst I have been to Japan I wasn’t able to go to all the places that are featured in my novel. I also buy some books on the subject matter that I’m researching and make notes from them. I really enjoy the research aspect as I get to learn a lot too!

13.       What project are you working on now?
I’m currently working on the sequel to my vampire novel Demon’s Blood and also the second book in my Perfect World series.

14.       What books do you like to read? What are you reading now?
I like to read horror, supernatural, science fiction, fantasy, mystery and thriller novels best. I’m currently reading After the Crash by Michel Bussi.


Bio:

Shari Sakurai was born in Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom. After completing secondary school she moved away from further education to work in administration.  

Shari is very interested in other countries’ cultures and mythology; in particular Japan. Japanese themes and influences can often be found in her work. She is an animal lover and has two rats and a cat.

Shari's debut novel Demon's Blood was released in ebook format on 25th January 2014. She has participated and won the National Novel Writing Month challenge for the past nine years.

                                          Website | Twitter | Facebook |  Blog



Adam 

Adam Larimore is on a mission of self-destruct. After learning that he was genetically engineered for the sole purpose of inheriting his father’s empire, Adam has been determined to ruin his father’s life and in the process his own. When Ivan Williams, the man soon to become the Head of the London Security Agency (L.S.A), approaches Adam with the offer of a business partnership, Adam discovers the appalling truth behind the technological and genetic advancements that have come to shape England. His relationship with his father is at breaking point and when events take a devastating turn, Adam finds himself pushed further than perhaps he wanted to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...